Wednesday, May 26, 2010


Musical life has begun again.

We have been updating some things at home, and now with the construction (Ikea assembly) of a new entertainment center my record player has stopped skipping, and music is back for us. I know it is hackneyed to the nth, but there really is something different about putting on a record and sitting back to actually listen. I love the portability of my mp3's, and there is nothing wrong with having 32 gigs of music trapsing around with me in my pocket, but sitting back and listening to a great record is a totally unique and mystically enjoyable experience.

To welcome ourselves back to the world of vinyl we listened to a number of albums that I had collected since the debacle of the "shelf that makes the records skip" came into our home, and was pleasantly surprised. A band that I found through Thrift store purchases was the amazing funk band Slave. I originally bought their self-titled album when I saw the back cover with a collection of amazing pictures of individual members, as well as their sign and parts. (See above) Last night I pulled out another Slave album that I found at a thrift store, 1978's "The Concept".

Where the self-titled LP was pure unadulterated funk in the vein of earlier Funkadelic and Parliament releases, the Concept was just what the name promised. Slave was a collection of uber-talented musicians who truly melded their myriad sounds into beautiful harmonies. The Concept album used vocoder technologies that were popular with musicians like Peter Frampton, while staying true to the funk sensibilities that made their first album such a mainstay of my heavy rotation last year. I highly recommend any Slave releases that you can get your hands on, and enjoy some masterpieces of funk.

No comments:

Post a Comment